Moats and Shaywitz are to sane and appropriate reading instruction as the fear
mongers are to Obama's health plan.   A list about reading comprehension such
as Mosaic should be questioning the "research" of Moats and Shaywitz (I'm not
as familiar with Torgeson) not supporting it.

I'd like to hear how people on this list are going to start their strategy
instruction for the year.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt within the heart.
—Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Donna,
You are correct in that phonics is not as important to reading as it is to
spelling. However, there is extensive research that links knowledge of
phonics to reading for readers. Louisa Moats has been an advocate for many
years of phonics instruction and has written several books on  reading but
specifically her "Speech to Print" makes direct connections between phonics
and reading as does the work of Torgeson at Florida and Shaywitz at Yale.
The ability to decode print, which is what phonics allows a child to do,
affects their ability to read more difficult text. Some readers figure out
the speech to print code on their own and other readers need explicit
instruction to learn the code. At some point, phonics becomes more about
language structure, specifically when it comes to learning about suffixes,
prefixes, root words, all which influence meaning/comprehension. .

Perhaps the best perspective is the one from the child who struggles with
reading until a wise and well trained tutor guides him into the discovery of
words and reading through phonics. For me, this is the only proof I need to
validate phonics use in reading.

Deidra Chandler
MA Early Childhood Ed
MA Reading
MultiSensory Structured Language Intervention Tutor