Elisa,
I guess that sentence did imply that, but it was meant as a more generic response to teachers who don't like teaching phonics because it's boring or they don't comprehend the importance of it. So many teachers on other mailrings complain about teaching phonics because all they have is an adopted reading series from which to gain information. I suppose that would cause anyone to hate teaching phonics. More and better teacher training is one answer but that's also another story.:)

Deidra Chandler

----- Original Message ----- From: "Waingort Jimenez, Elisa" <elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca> To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] phonics instruction--long

Hi Deirdre,
It was this line in your first post that initiated my response: "Don't abandon what the students need just because you don't like to teach it!"
Thanks for clarifying your thinking.
Elisa

Elisa Waingort
Grade 2 Spanish Bilingual
Dalhousie Elementary
Calgary, Canada

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart.
-Helen Keller

Visit my blog, A Teacher's Ruminations, and post a message.
http://waingortgrade2spanishbilingual.blogspot.com/

Elisa,
I'm sorry you inferred from my ramblings that I think teachers on this list
don't want to teach phonics. As someone posted earlier, I believe we all
agree that it needs to be taught, the vehicle for it's delivery is
different. I am a huge advocate for direct instruction for those who are
lagging behind. I also enjoy using guided discovery for those who are able
to identify patterns within words presented. I am a long time user of Words
Their Way and have witnessed the increase in spelling and vocabulary from
this program. I am also trained in Multisensory Structured Language
Instruction which gives me a different perspective on phonics, spelling, and
language. In my work with students in K-3 I have always provided a balanced
literacy program.

I am glad we can agree on the importance of phonics in our schools. Perhaps
our definition of phonics should include spelling patterns and language
patterns as a natural extension of our phonics instruction. I have no plans
to be contentious about this. I, like many others, am very passionate about
this subject and hoped to interject some clarity into the postings. Perhaps
I overdid it with the passion thing. My apologizes.

Deidra Chandler
MA Early Childhood Ed
MA Reading
MultiSensory Structured Language Intervention Tutor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Waingort Jimenez, Elisa" <elwaingor...@cbe.ab.ca>