RR was discontiued in our district due to the poor results. The amount of students that were served was very small in comparison to the $$ output. After studying all the district student data, it was found that most students that had been discontinued from the program with "on level" scores continued to score behind their peers in most cases for throughout elementary school. RR running records were done without comprehension scores and so RR levels did not coincide with what teachers were getting. I think the RR strategies are very effective but the real problem that we saw was that the child was made to fit the program instead of the program fitting the child who may have a had very different learning style.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeanne Crider <jeann...@charter.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Reading Recovery

I am a Reading Recovery teacher. Do you really think that helping the most
struggling 1st graders is a waste of money?  Do you think that these
students would make greater gains being in a small group or remaining in the classroom alone? Children in Reading Recovery have a program specifically designed for them. It looks at their strengths and builds on them. In the
classroom, teachers don't have time to focus on one child with such
intensity. They don't have the time to spend helping the child learn in the way that is best for them. Classroom teachers have too many other kids who
each have their own needs.  Untangling the most confused 1st graders is
certainly worth it in my opinion. By the way, I see more students in a day than any of the first grade classroom teachers have in their classroom. I work hard each and every day to meet the needs of my students. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I guess it was a good idea that you left if you don't believe in the philosophy. Maybe you should examine your own teaching
if the 3 students made no gains in your 2nd grade classroom.