Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:41 PM
Subject: [MOSAIC] philosophical wonderings

I love teaching, but lately I have been questioning the way I teach, particularly reading. I am an avid reader. Reading is an integral part of my adult life. I was never taught any reading strategies. I have children in my classroom who love to read and read way above grade level. I feel that they, like me, have already internalized the strategies and yes they can be strengthened but probably that will happen naturally as well. The more they read, the stronger they will become. It seems that we are prescribing medication whether the child is ill or not. It's like using manipulatives in math. Our new math program requires the use of manipulatives all the time. It used to be that you used maniuplatives when you differentiated for the child who was having difficulty with a concept. It seems like we are heading back to a one-size-fits-all mentality which scares me. I sometimes think the reading strategies were meant for educators so that we could become better teachers of reading, particularly for our struggling readers, and I think we have taken it too far and use it in all cases. When I look at the current guided reading models it is so prescribed: everyone is in a quick guided group with the teacher drilling a skill or they are reading independently. I am having a difficult time seeing the joy in that model. Where do the rich conversations that connect children to each other and to literature take place in this current model? Was the model intended for accomplished readers?

Leslie R. Stewart
Grade 3 Teacher
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us<mailto:lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us>
203-481-5386, 203-483-0749 FAX

To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry. ~ Gaston Bachelard ~

<http://thinkexist.com/birthday/september_24/>