"In my experience, strategy instruction works. For all kids, not just
strugglers. I do not believe it is only for struggling readers. I would  like
to see the list discuss what aspects of strategy instruction, as it is
currently being implemented, turns kids off from the love of reading so  that
we can all learn what to avoid."

I never meant to imply that only struggling readers need strategy instruction.
Certainly all of my students need experience determining theme and author's
craft, etc.  But I think if I hear one more child say I can make a text-to-self
connection and then make the most minimal connection to the text they are
reading I may go crazy!  I hear mind-numbing conversations and weeks of
instruction on one strategy in multiple classrooms across multiple grade
levels.  I certainly think children should find ways in which they relate to
text but that will come with more exposure to text and a lot more CONVERSATIONS
with peers as well as teachers.  Strong readers don't think about the
strategies in isolation.  Our school is advocating a model where the child
reads with me in a small guided group for maybe 20 minutes once or twice per
week and then reads their independent reading book, attempting to utilize the
same strategy we discussed in guided and then writes about it in a letter to
me.  Sorry Fountas and Pinell...I just don't think that is what authentic
reading is about.  I don't follow the plan.  I do pull guided groups, but
afterwards my kids go back and read a book with a small group of their peers
and talk about it and they may or may not discuss the strategy they practiced
with me.  Writing about reading flows naturally after conversations about
reading.  The teachers on this site all love reading and teaching reading.
What about those teachers who don't?  I think the model can be deadly and it is
difficult to implement by even the most experienced teacher.  I know that I am
not supposed to have read the books my children are reading, but how can I
comment and model if I don't know the text?  So, I have five reading groups and
they are all in different texts.  I don't get a lot of sleep, but so far I
don't think I've lost any future readers of America to the reading war and I am
proud of that.

Leslie R. Stewart
(203)481-5386 X310  FAX (203)483-0749
lstew...@branford.k12.ct.us

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
  ~ Dr. Seuss