I have loved reading your descriptions of teaching reading. I love you all for
your honesty and your firm belief that children learn to read by reading. I
often wonder why the world accepts that swimmers and ballerinas and mechanics
learn through practice.

I marvel at you all as teachers of reading (and I admit that PatK brought tears
to my eyes--I am awed by your experience and your early expertise). I am a slug
compared to you all. I taught reading the way I was told for years. Then I read
Mosaic of Thought and became a real teacher. I hooted and hollered all the way
through the book. I nodded constantly as I read and I made my dear husband
listen as I read to him (and he is not a teacher). The first time I heard Ellin
Keene speak, I listened so intensely that she approached me (in an audience of
100+) and asked if she knew me. When my California district knuckled under to
politicians and told us to teach Houghton Mifflin "with fidelity" (this after
sending people to Colorado to work with Keene), I knew better. I finally knew
better. I used some of the HM selections to teach comprehension strategies in
3rd grade. Last year, in 5th grade, we opened HM one week to read the poetry. I
am now proud of my literacy instruction.

Judy