I love the first chapter. The author includes many books that I enjoyed as a child and then books that I have read with my students. I believe many of the things that she said. I ask all of my students to read at least 25 books during their year with me. It is 2nd grade so we start off with easy books, but I tell them most of the books they read will be early chapter books. Almost always the students leave me loving reading as much as I do. I model, model, model. And we do read two books together at least they read along with me as I model my own thinking. They keep a response journal that they take with them when they leave. We have book chats on Friday and they make suggestions of who would love to read their books. We do Buddy reading and individual reading and lit circles. The classroom is about reading. I love this book.
Pat K