From: soozq55...@aol.com
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Sat, Jul 10, 2010 5:47 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Chapter 1 (Book Whisperer)

I don't disagree that new teachers need lots of support and let's face it if we
all look back on our 1st year, it was on the job training. Our district used to
provide mentor teachers to new teachers for up to 3 years but the money has
dried up for that. Time was also alotted for new teachers to go and visit
classrooms to address areas where they had the most need. My biggest issue with
mandating of basal is that at the 4th grade level, they can be more than 2
years ahead of the reading level of my students. I had kids that didn't even
know their Dolch words and I was supposed have them read Blue Willow?? That was
my point. I agree that many of the literature is good and we might read it
during a guided reading group but not whole class.
Sue