To get assessments from independent reading, I use "inside the box".  I have to
look up the author but it is a book that has ideas and rubrics to use for
independent reading......

--- On Fri, 7/9/10, hccarl...@comcast.net <hccarl...@comcast.net> wrote:

From: hccarl...@comcast.net <hccarl...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Chapter 1 (Book Whisperer)
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Friday, July 9, 2010, 12:54 PM

I so agree with you. In my last district, we just about had a balanced literacy
in place with a large place for independent reading. We were in the process of
trying to get students to read challenging, rather than easy, text for
independent reading. I had written lessons for the strategies for grades 3
through 5. Then, along came a new superintendent with his own personal
curriculum director.

Out went our balanced literacy and in came the basal. Teachers were told they
had to use the basal exclusively and not use anything else! No time for lit
circles! No time for independent reading! How sad!

In my experience, independent reading is questioned because parents and
administrators don't think teachers are "teaching". Unfortunately, the National
Panel could not recommend independent reading as an effective practice because
there is no "scientific" research to support. (Don't get me started on that.)

When a colleague and I wanted to use Nancie Atwell's reading workshop approach
in junior high in the early 1990's, our ass't superintendent told us "no." He
thought others in our building would jump on the bandwagon, and then how would
we provide all the books! Luckily, we convinced our principal, and she told us
to go ahead. Of course, no one else wanted to follow us because it is a lot
more work than using a basal or other canned programs. Our kids read more that
year than others. Our scores kept even with the other teachers'. If we had
mapped out skills, I think they would have improved more. We were kind of
following Nancie. With all the other support now with Keene and Strategies that
Work, we would have even more effective.

I love independent reading! I just wish we could somehow measure how much
students enjoy reading with this approach. Those students who are most at risk
for turning off to reading, are the ones who need this the most but who most
often don't get time for independent reading.

Carol