I, too, think basals have some value, especialy for new teachers with a
not-so-wonderful teacher education program.  THAT IS, if the level of the basal
meets the level of the student, which precludes whole class instruction.  It's
only been recently in my career, though, that I've seen a better alternative.
When I became a literacy coach, our district had just adopted an official
balanced literacy stance.  Most of us had been following balanced literacy
practices for 20 years, though.  I was under the impression at that time that
lit coaches were nice, but not necessary.  WOW was I wrong. To refer to Judy's
letter at this point, I would say that the exception to new teachers needing a
year with a basal's planning and support would be the presence of a lit coach,
with an appropriate ratio of 20 teachers:1 coach.  There are so many wonderful
books out now to guide coaches, but one of the most powerful books is Jennifer
Allen's A Sense of Belonging: Sustaining and Retaining New Teachers.  Every
administrator on this list should take advantage of their summer-of-less-work
to read this book!  Jan Miller Burkins has great books as well.  I have 9 or 10
coaching books that guide coaches to guide teachers into professional
educators.  One of my profs said that the way to get outstanding teachers was
to either hire them or to grow the ones you had.  We have the knowledge to do
that now, just not the will.  Instead many of the Powers that Be wish to spend
billions on "teacher-proofed" materials.  Even the Feds themselves have
admitted that the Reading First program spent well over 6 BILLION dollars and
didn't develop comprehending readers -- why would we want any other kind of
readers???  RF was the biggest program to take teacher judgment out of the
equation and look at the results!!