Chapter 4 - Reading Freedom

Donalyn makes a strong case in this chapter for allowing our students to develop reading identities. She encourages us to resist the temptation to "teach" them how to select books, and allow them the freedom to develop interests in books. Donalyn describes her beginning of the school year throughout this chapter. The following questions are meant to spark discussion about this chapter. In honoring Donalyn's notion of "freedom", feel free to discuss something else that jumped out at you in this chapter.

1) Reflect on the beginning of your school year. What do you normally do to encourage reading? Lots of read alouds, blessing of the books/mini book talks where I've gathered books in baskets and briefly talk about each one, class library "tour" to explain the organization of author baskets, genre baskets, leveled baskets, etc.

What will you do differently as a result of reading Donalyn's descriptions in this chapter? I'm toying with the idea of a reading requirement based on her 40 books . I'm not sure about this in 4th grade. Not sure about how many books is appropriate. THOUGHTS?

We always do genre studies and do lit circles for each main genre (mystery, realistic fiction, fantasy, etc.) and then I do require that they choose another one in that genre to read and respond to independently . We do a reading workshop so students have a big block of time for independent reading.