The book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell suggests that there is an advantage to
being older vs. younger when it comes to success in school.  My personal
experience and observation supports this in most cases as well.
For example, my niece and nephew were summer babies who were held back a year.
They are already 18 in their senior year of high school, high achieving, honor
roll, lots of friends....very successful by all counts.

My own daughter is an October baby.  she is the oldest in her class at
pre-school.  Most of the kids are still 3, she is already 4. So far, no regrets
on this decision (which was made for be based on the September cut date).

Amy