Sounds like a great idea
PatK
On May 28, 2012, at 7:21 AM, Mena wrote:

Please don't retire. I have heard so many older teachers say that the conditions of teaching are causing them to retire. So many of our new teachers, who have been raised in these direct instruction schools, have the example of teacher-proof pedagogy as their hegemony. They have been raised in a culture that demands research- based instruction. More experienced teachers have lives that should be considered enthnographic research. If "research-based" instruction is the litmus test of good teaching we need to fight experiment research with our combined ethnographic research. I would love to have teachers share on a thread some anecdotal stories of struggling readers who have learned to read without a program.

Philomena Marinaccio-Eckel, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University
Dept. of Teaching and Learning
College of Education
2912 College Ave. ES 214
Davie, FL  33314
Phone:  954-236-1070
Fax:  954-236-1050

-----Original Message-----
From: Patricia Kimathi <pkima...@earthlink.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group <mosaic@literacyworkshop.org >
Sent: Sat, May 26, 2012 3:09 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Saddened by Administration Mandate: Students and Choice R ...

What's the old song-  you have to know when to fold them.  I think I
get the message that it is now time for me to fold them.  I am trying
to hang on one more year, but it is difficult as I read these things
and I see my district moving in that directions.  Also, because I am
in Los Angeles and we keep hearing of more teachers being accussed of
misconduct and abuse of children I am really feeling sdder and sadder.
PatK