What I did with my 2nd & 3rd grade students is have a print-rich environment which gave them many resources to look at words and spell them correctly. Anything that was visible was basically a "no excuses" word that needed to be spelled correctly. I did not do a word wall, but instead had lists of "category words" here and there..... math words on the wall above the math materials, people words on a cabinet door, "thematic" words near the categorized book bins, etc. I also had laminated lists of high frequency words that just stayed on all the tables. I think I had the "first 50" on one side and the "second 50" on the other side. They were not allowed to misspell these words in their writing. I did some "whole class" word work on a regular basis, looking at patterns or chunks, but the whole spelling list thing just got dropped somewhere along the line, and my life was oh, so easier!

Regarding phonetic spelling (a term I used in the 90s instead of the dreaded and misunderstood "invented spelling"), I had no problem with this. What concerned me more was when students continued to write things like "gril" for "girl" which indicated to me that they were NOT using phonetic structures to help them spell.

Renee