I am reading with interest the posts about spelling... I teach first grade. I
have used WTW and differentiated it in my class so that there were actually
three groups... Book A. Book B and Book C. I am going to offer a slightly
different viewpoint... so here goes.... First let me say that the activities
(open sort, blind sort, making words, word hunt and the gazillion others Donald
Baer offers are wonderful)... but I do not believe this is a phonics program
....rather it is a word study program and the two are very different.  The
scope and sequence especially at the earliest levels Book K and book A will
never get a first grader to read.  They don't even see a long vowel team until
the middle of book B.And I believe that spelling and reading are the inverse of
each other.  Secondly at the early levels WTW introduces consonants, blends,
and digraphs... before vowels ...so kids are not using patterns to spell.
Third... WTW uses lots of picture cards in the early books so emphasis is on
the sound and not the spelling of words... and the management of those little
cards can be a nightmare.

Now if you are steeped in phonics instruction... you can structure WTW lessons
with specific phonics skills that are key to why the patterns presented work.
However, I do not see teachers at early levels supplementing  these activities
with a systematic and sequential approach. What I do see is kids matching words
with the same letters and not knowing the reason why they are pasting those
little cards in a particular  sort... they are just matching... once the
headers of the sorts are taken away... the pattern is lost and there can be no
transfer to new and unfamiliar words.That's because patterns without phonics
support are empty placeholders if you will.

That much said... I am using Orton Gillingham's  scope and sequence and pulling
activities (sorts) from WTW,  This is like writing curriculum while you are
teaching. I have not yet to date found a program that does it all but teachers
need to versed in many programs and approaches to pull from. If you look on
Scholastic's webiste there is a blog from Beth Newinghouse (? actually not sure
of her name) who shows you how to differentiate and individualize spelling
using many, many approaches.... I am working hard to duplicate... but even with
her plan... kids need to be independent  and accountable.... which is not
always the nature of little ones... love the discussion... keep it going.
Pam