(Apparently the Gmane web interface turned my reply into garbled text,
sorry for the double posting)

Thanks again for your quick answers.

Yes, 32 and 2 are the counts after "sort | uniq | wc -l". The total number
of hypotheses returned for both cases was 50.

I removed the "distinct"s from (my local copy of)
scripts/training/mert-moses.pl (lines 1261 and 1263), and that solved the
problem! Now I can get 32 unique hypotheses with v3.0, too.

In fact, I am pretty sure I was able to get 50 unique hypotheses (out of a
50-best list) with the same configuration back in version 0.x. I hope the
new -n-best-factor will do the trick.

Best,

ED