Hi,

That's really not at all what is supposed to happen. You should get only
unique entries in the n-best list with the "distinct" parameter. (Maybe
less than 50 if n-best-factor is set to a low value, but there shouldn't
be any duplicates.)

I cannot find any reason why the "distinct" parameter wouldn't do what
it's supposed to do. But maybe I'm missing something. The relevant
method should be Manager::CalcNBest() (in moses/Manager.cpp). As far as
I can tell, there have been no recent modifications to it in Moses
master.

Please try to investigate what's going on (if you have the time).

Also note that n-best-factor takes effect only if distinct is active.
There's no point in setting it if distinct is inactive or
malfunctioning. It would potentially help you to fill up your n-best
list if you got less than n (=50) entries with the distinct parameter.

Cheers,
Matthias

On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 21:08 +0200, Erinç Dikici wrote:
> (Apparently the Gmane web interface turned my reply into garbled text,
> sorry for the double posting)
>
> Thanks again for your quick answers.
>
> Yes, 32 and 2 are the counts after "sort | uniq | wc -l". The total
> number
> of hypotheses returned for both cases was 50.
>
> I removed the "distinct"s from (my local copy of)
> scripts/training/mert-moses.pl (lines 1261 and 1263), and that solved
> the
> problem! Now I can get 32 unique hypotheses with v3.0, too.
>
> In fact, I am pretty sure I was able to get 50 unique hypotheses (out
> of a
> 50-best list) with the same configuration back in version 0.x. I hope
> the
> new -n-best-factor will do the trick.
>
> Best,
>
> ED

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.