When I first began posting to MOU, my posting style was based on listserves out
of state.   Year round, I read(though am not subscribed to) lists from
Arizona/Texas/Florida/Tennessee/Illinois/Iowa/North
Dakota/Manitoba/Sasketchewan and use/check Ebird just to keep track of what is
being reported across the country and to keep track of migration.   When I
first began posting, I always liked reading posts that gave details about every
species being seen even the common birds.   I am less interested in the rare
species being reported, because they are just that, rare, and atypical of what
is in the area.  I also don't go out searching for rare birds when they are
posted very often.   When I do, I keep my expectations of actually finding the
rare bird quite low.  When I first began posting I  suspected that people
didn't report their sightings, because they didn't want their particular
birding spot overrun with other birders.  This suspicion was likely untrue, but
it is what I thought years ago.