Boris Zbarsky wrote:

I'm actually working on trying to set up a forum for developers to point out bugs that have enough information on what needs to be done that the learning curve is significantly lowered. If this pans out, I'll be posting more about it.

Do you have any idea on what the time line is ? are we talking short term or long term

- The helpwanted keyword: This keyword is not really usefull for people starting out.

Agreed. This is how the "[good first bug]" status whiteboard annotation arose...

It is a start, but think it should be a set of keywords, because different people need different starter bugs. Some want to get started with cplusplus while others might just need some with GUI (XUL etc)

True. There used to be more developers on irc before, but the incessant review requests largely drove them off, as far as I can tell. Perhaps if we had a strict ban on such (in view of the existence of the request tracker), some could be induced to come back for a day a week or something....

Well I guess having a ban on review request is would be a good thing if it is needed to bring developers back, but I have a feeling it is treating the symptom, not fixing with the problem..

I think (hope) that the developers could come back for something like a Mozilla Love day, just as alot of people come to the bug days.

* We need more good overview documentation:

Agreed. The problem is how to organize it and how to link to it from where... I wrote some overview docs at some point, and I don't even think they're linked to from anywhere on the mozilla.org site, in the wake of the site redesign.

This should really be the easy part, stuff it in a wiki or something. Lets have some content before we start thinking about structure.

- The renderring model, which part plays which role etc. and with pointers to source modules so that we can find the code. More stuff like the Space Manager design docs

Like http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/doc/gecko-overview.htm ?

I admit it could be put in a more readable format, and fleshed out with more text, with some pointers added. Let me know whether the basic information in this document is about what you're looking for; if it is, I'll do some reformatting.

Yes it could be something like that, perhaps it is a bit light on the actual text. It looks like something that was made to support a presentation but sadly the actual content of the

- An overview of which XPCOM components/services are available and their APIs.

This would need to be organized somehow -- we have a LOT of such components/services.... Suggestions on how? This is really the most serious problem with the docs we have -- finding what you want is hard.

How about an simply list like

FileComponent: Performs local file access <link to api>
PreferenceComponent: Performs storage and retrieval of program prefereces <link to api>
etc.

All depending on the complexty of the components

If someone can generate a list of docs involved (already nontrivial), this could probably be done.... I agree that it's worth doing.

How about an simply search of files in the cvs webpart ?

Best Regards
Henrik Lynggaard