We HAVE content. We have somewhere on the order of 10 documents just on the layout engine. We have good documentation on strings, arrays, and hashtables. We have various XPCOM documents, RDF docs, security docs, uriloader documentation, etc, etc.

The problem is that none of this is very easy to find. "stuff it in a wiki" doesn't help find it.

The good thing about wiki's are they are easily updated, so I think it
would be good for a kind of catalog pages of the documentation. It
would be quick to make ad-hoc overview pages.

How about an simply list like

FileComponent: Performs local file access <link to api>
PreferenceComponent: Performs storage and retrieval of program prefereces <link to api>

This list would have hundreds (if not thousands) of items in it. I see 93 IDL files in xpcom/, and some of them define multiple interfaces... And these are just the core XPCOM layer. I see 809 IDL files in the tree if I exclude the DOM api and all of mailnews and editor. Just having a list won't cut it for this stuff -- it needs to be categorized somehow...

Well, lets start by getting the list, then lets sort it and put it in
categories.

The xulplanet xpcom reference already does this. You won't be able to see the real version for another day or so, but I've uploaded the index page to http://xulplanet.mozdev.org/references/xpcomref/ so you can see what it looked like.

Lots of docs are available on mozilla.org, xulplanet, mozdev, firefox help site, mozillazine, etc... The problem is that 1) no one knows where to find what they are looking for. 2) no one knows what they're looking for to begin with. By that, I mean that there are so many components and terms used in Mozilla that it's difficult to tell which one applies.
http://www.mozilla.org/why/ is good starting point but needs to lead to actual documentation.

/ Neil