"David Coppit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hi Asa, thanks for the reply....
>
> Asa Dotzler wrote:
>
>  > What if it is a request for a feature that
>  > would take significant enginering resources away from existing buggy
>  > features. I never see anyone voting for the "mail crashes on startup"
>  > bugs but there are 150 votes for a request to implement the mail PGP
>  > plugin.
>
> You can bet that if I had a problem with crashing on startup, I would
> have voted for it to be fixed. If a crash bug affects 5% of users,
> should it get more importance than a UI bug or enhancement that affects
> 95% of users? I doubt it. A great way to get that kind of data--the
> pulse of the users--is through voting.
>
> If we define "best" as "the one that makes the most people happy the
> most amount of the time", then votes are the currency to express this.
> Giving the users the ability to help steer the project (tempered by the
> expert opinions of the developers) will guarantee that "best" will
> eventually be achieved.

The problem with that is that most people
don't vote for crashers, even major ones.

I usually vote for features, and bugs that
I feel are important but getting overlooked
(like GNKSA compliance). Generally I think
that crashers are visible enough already,
so voting for them would be sort of a waste.
I doubt I'm the only person who subscribes
to that line of reasoning.