In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian Z Jones
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Christians killed plenty of people during the Crusades, but the
> Cross is not seen as an "evil" symbol.

Did you know that the International Red Cross does not use the red cross
everywhere?

> So, anyone still keeping faith in the red star as a symbol of opression is
> living in the past.

This is not an issue of "keeping the faith". The red star is considered
offensive by some people. You can't just explain it away.

Political symbols don't lose their connotations that quickly. During the
2000 U.S. presidential campaign the candidates were asked their opinions
about displaying a U.S. Civil War-era political symbol in a state
capitol. Now why would you think that the red star had no bad
connotations just 10 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union?

> Besides, it's just a fucking browser. If the 'symbolism' is so
> offensive, go use Netscape or something else that is more AOL-ized for
> you.</rant>

Don't you see how you are trying to turn people away? Do you really
think it makes sense to use offensive symbols and make potential
contributors go away?

In my opinion, mozilla.org would do wisely if it stopped using the red
star and the related graphics style.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]