Henri Sivonen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > > * Did you let the the Netscape 6.2 installer install the Flash plug-in?
> > > * Do you have a file called Shockwave Flash NP-PPC in the Netscape 6.2
> > > /
> > >   Mozilla plug-ins folder?
> >
> > I'm waiting on updating to 6.2 until Communicator 4.7.9.
>
> So are you claiming that plug-ins don't work in Netscape 6.2 without
> even trying it?
>
> > Netscape is supposed to fix the problem of Netscape6 taking over all of
> > Communicator's preferences.
>
> ?? Netscape 6.2 is supposed to copy some prefs from 4.x but not to write
> there. I'm not aware of Netscape 6.2 writing to 4.x prefs. Do you have
> evidence to the contrary? Have you filed a bug with steps to reproduce?
>
> > Currently you can't run the two if installed on the same Hard drive (or
> > same partition)
>
> That is incorrect. See my other post in reply to "DeMoN".

Your statement is true if you use windows or UNIX. On Mac OS 9.2.1 on
down my statement is correct.

see reply and explaination of type nad creator codes in another post in
this thread.

(Netscape uses identical TYPE and CREATOR codes for both N6 and
Communicator -- BINA and MOSS)

> > > * Do you have a reasonably recent version of QuickTime?
> >
> > Is Quicktime 5.0.2 recent enough
>
> Yes.
>
> > On the current version of N6 Ihave identical versions in plugins and the
> > system Internet plugins Folder

yes

> What happens if you make only one copy of the plug-in available to
> Netscape 6.2?

Tried removing the System Internet plugins so just used the versions
installed in Netscape plugins. And restarting Computer.

No improvement.

> > > * Have you installed an outdated and redundant copy of Internet Config?
> >
> > No have most recent copy

Don't have any extra (older) copies.

> You said you have Mac OS 9.1. Then you don't need to install Internet
> Config. The functionality comes with the system.

Apple has an argreement with the Makers of Internet Config to use the
Internet Config extension with the Internet Control Panel as the
interface as opposed to the Internet Config Application. When IC comes
out with a new extension Apple updates the version they have.

> Which version do you have installed? The version that comes with Mac OS
> 9.1 is 2.0.7. If you take a look at the version string in the Get Info
> window of the Internet Config Extension is the Finder, it should say
> that it is part of the Mac OS 9.1 package (in the version string after
> the copyright notice).
>
> > > On which platforms do they not work?
> >
> > There are reports on some netscape groups that on on some PC's, that 6.2 hasn't
> > changed much. The last version of Netscape6,  I have been trying didn't.
> > (Mac version)
>
> So copy&paste didn't work in the Mac version? Correct.

Downloaded and installed 6.2 today. didn't see any improvement.

> > > A Web browser isn't an extension of an email app. A Web browser is one
> > > app. An email reader is another. (Sadly, in the case of Mozilla and
> > > Communicator, they both have been forced in the same process.)
> >
> > To me a Web Browser is.
>
> Then it is no wonder if you find that browsers don't meet your needs.
> Usually they aren't considered extensions of email apps.

Actally most browsers more than meet my needs except where sites have
begun to use Java.

In some cases older versions of Java don't work with the newer Java Plugins.

> > If I receive a notice in an email of an update
> > or an upgrade of a program I use. I don't want to have to copy the link.
>
> You don't need to copy the link even with an external email app. I use
> Eudora Light 3.1.1 (running in the Classic environment on OS X) for
> email. When I double-click a link in an email message, Eudora sends an
> AppleEvent to FizzillaCFM (Carbon app) and Fizzilla displays the web
> page.

(that's calling up a another program using additional system resources)
Using Mozilla, N6 or Communicator clicking on the link switches the
module in use ther is no additional RAM Useage.)

> > You should have one program to do all rather than having to depend upon
> > having 2-3 different ones.
>
> Do you mean that Word and Excel should be in one process and Photoshop
> and Illustrator should be one app? Or that Word and Photoshop should be
> one app? What if you want to use FreeHand and Photoshop?

Actaully if you have Office you basically have in effect one big
Application. Because Excel, Word, Entourage, and PowerPoint can call one
or the other up in any of the various applications and using OLE you can
link elements created in one to projects in the other. Say you create a
Chart in Excel. you embed it in a word document. Then if you update the
chart either from Excel or Word when you open the element in the
originating application its automatically updated to reflect the changes
in both.

Actually the idea of Photoshop and Illustrator being one app doesn't
sound like a bad Idea. Deneba's Canvas Pro already does that, it has a
Drawing element and a Painting element. Adobe is actually selling
PhotoShop, Illustrator, Go live and another program as one big super
package If you have a Couple of thousand clams ready to buy it.

Word and Photoshop are too dissimilar.

Freehand and Photoshop are from different vendors there May or may not
be Translators to allow one to use the other. But they can't call each
other up.

what links newsreaders, email readers, and web browsers is the use of
Javascript (openscript?) and what you have set in Internet Control panel
in Mac platform.

I stlll say use of a Multifunction Application is more convienent, waste
less Hard Drive space and makes more effecient use of  System RAM. So
that you can have even more things runing at the same time.

> --
> Henri Sivonen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.clinet.fi/~henris/

Let's just let it slide. We don't all see the same logic.  Its not one
is better or worse. I just don't believe in opening up any more items
then I need to. Life's less complicated that way.  Other people feel,
well if I have to open 5 or 10 items to accomplish the one goal so be
it. I got the resources so what.

To me Mail, news, and Web browsing is is one goal - an internet
experience - and if I can use one program to do it all so be it. AS I
said previously The extent of my web browsing is mostly to obtain
software updates/upgrades, some viewing of mutual funds as related to
some budget items I deal with, and ocassionally looking something  or
someone. I don't spend hours on end until my eyeballs fall out looking
at this and that website or playing internet games. That just doen't
appeal to me.

Phillip M. Jones, CET      |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling
616 Liberty Street         |Who's Who. PHONE:276-632-5045, FAX:275-632-0868
Martinsville Va 24112-1809 |[EMAIL PROTECTED], ICQ11269732, AIM pjonescet

If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/america/default.htm
http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/message/default.htm