On Sunday 24 March 2002 19:41, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

> I watch a cooking progam from Enland on the FoodChannel. The Star is
> Jammie Oliver and the show is called "The Naked Chef" the title is
> supposed to mean getting to the bare essentials of food.
>
> He uses a slang tern for great (as in Taste great)  pucker. Examaple
> the dish is really pucker.

In that context, "pucker" is often used by those at the East End of
London as a sort of regional slang.  It does come from the Indian
pukkah as someone suggested.  Jamie Oliver is generally reckoned in
England to be a jumped-up juvenile twerp that is trying to effect
trappings of the street culture (generally the yob culture).

Mind you he's a reasonable cook (I wouldn't describe him as a chef).

> In the US the same word has a different meaning as in Pucker up and
> Kiss.

That's exactly what it means in Oxford English, and you can find it in
the Oxford English Dictionary with that meaning.

--

Graham