Heikki, and to all of course,

thanks for your response.  I understand that you
picked the short straw on that one.  When I say
"you" below I really mean Mozilla.

I don't particularly think it productive to debate
all those points - yours or mine or anyone else's,
so I'll try another approach.  I'm going to describe
the bigger picture in people terms.

What's going on here is that there is a team led
by Amir Herzberg over at an Israeli security school
that's developed a counter for phishing.  Now,
Amir happens to know a thing or two about security
because before that he was an architect for a digital
cash project - which is nothing if not security.  In
digital cash, everything is about security because
it's all about money and it's therefore always in the
shadow of theft.  Both inside and outside theft, which
makes it a much more sophisticated view of security.

Then there's Tyler Close and Ka-Ping Yee.  Now these
guys hale from what is called the "capabilities school,"
which is a forward thinking approach to security in
languages, programming, and philosophy.  It's a
bit like Java but that's like comparing a Tonka toy
tank to the real thing.  These guys have also brought
in some well established security constructs which
happen to have mirrored what Amir and his team has
done.

Then there's Peter Gutmann.  He's some sort of crypto
security and coding prof over in NZ, but he's also
probably one of the world's premier cryptoplumbers.
He's personally coded just about every Net crypto
thingie in existance, and written dozens of papers,
most of them highly critical.  As an antipodean, he
doesn't really have the gift of the politeness, better
called "refreshing directness."

Lynn Wheeler is also floating around, and he's
someone who probably knows more about this
stuff than any other three people alive.  Not only
that, he is the one person on the planet that I
know that might know more about building Internet
payment systems than me, which I find difficult to
stomach, but that's my cross.  He actually knows
what governance structures mean, which means
he can say *why* we do things, not just what to
do.  To cope with this he writes in an obscure style
that masks what he is really saying, it's a sort of
secret rite that if you can read the code, you're
mature enough to not immediately slit your wrists
in humility and depression at how little you know.

Then there's me.  I do payment systems.  These are
systems built to survive persistent attack of both
inside and ouside nature.  Convenient assumptions
in browsing become killers in payment systems, you
could imagine it as if every GET is worth money.
Payment systems of course directly links to phishing
because that's about raiding some of the browser-
based systems.  Hence the interest.

Less said about me the better of course, but the
other guys ... these are not slouches.  These are
serious security people.  They come from divergent
backgrounds which is to say if they don't talk your
talk or walk your walk that's because they are looking
at different paths ... but I hope I've established that it
is not because they don't know what they are talking
about.

And, they've all having found themselves here, in
Mozilla's security & crypto forum.

These people are putting time and effort into phishing.
They all happen to know more about phishing than
Mozilla does, on the face of it.  They are here to find
out what Mozilla's plan is, and to help if possible.

Just so we're all on the same page here, we are not
here to discuss bug fixing, code audits, ActiveX and
why Mozo is better than M$ product.  Not because
these aren't important issues, but because these are
obviously under control.  Mozilla has these issues
under control.

Which is good.

What is not under control is phishing.  This is so not
under control that when someone offers a solution for
phishing, that someone or that solution is ignored.

The solution isn't compared with some other solution,
it isn't suggested that maybe they could work on
a better one, and they get don't quizzed on why they
chose path X not path Y.

Nobody says "hey we need to talk to this guy" or
maybe "first we need to do XXX to lay the groundwork"
or even "you two guys get together and unify your
approach."

Nobody asks why it is that the solution provider thinks
phishing is such a big issue.  Nobody asks for an
explanation, and nobody says "we can do better."

Its ignored, and it's not an isolated case, we know
that now, because there are 2 solutions right here
and now, and there was one in the past as well **.

Make no mistake - all these guys are hanging
around here not to make life difficult for anyone,
not to get a pat on the head, and not to boost their
reputations or their egos by getting endorsement
from the all-conquering brand of Mozilla.

They're here to help.

So when Ping asks "who's in charge," he isn't asking
for a statement that there is someone in charge, he's
asking for a name, a place, an intro so he can take
the discussion to someone who can integrate the
complexities across the teams.

When I say there isn't a security process, what I'm
saying is that in a year and a half of discussions,
whatever process there is has not recognised that
phishing exists, phishing is a browser problem, and
has the potential to become a most serious problem
for MoFo once the public wakes up and works out
what the tool is in front of them that's asking them to
fill in the form and POST their identity to a criminal.

This is serious stuff.  The figures show 1.2 billion
dollars per year of mostly american money.  So
if Mozilla reaches 10% market share then it can
be expecting to look at some number times 120
million dollars of liability - potentially - in a year.

If you know where the security process is, then do us
all a favour - go find them, and ask them to get on the
case.  Or tell us where to find them.

If they are working on it, then tell them to put up an
announcement saying they are working on it.  Tell us
where the suggestion box is.

Or, put up an announcement saying you don't want
outside help.

If it exists, get it to prove it exists by asking it to say
something.

Or, recognise where your at and save us all some
time.  We've been broadcasting this thing on this
group for over a year now, so we know that there
is no coordinating group, as has been pointed out
by Mozilla people here.

There is no person who's thinking at the level that is
needed to address phishing.  No structure that is
capable of marshalling the disparate issues and
cross-linking them.  Because if that existed, it would
have made itself plain as day in face of the barrage
of emails on this subject in this security forum for the
last year &&.

There is no shame in saying that Mozilla doesn't know
what to do.

Let me share with you the complete absence of shame:
the top security people in the field do not know what
to do.  I know this because in the last year or so many
of them have a) admitted the existence of phishing, b)
said its a serious issue, and c) not said what to do
about it.

Most are keeping very 'mum' and very careful about it
because they are conflicted, because they've worked
on and promoted these techs for so long that they can't
easily unravel why this is now happening to their babies.
Which is another reason why the people that are here
to help are all from "outside".

Microsoft don't know what to do and neither do Opera.
Unlike Microsoft, you do not have regulators that are
asking difficult questions.  Unlike both you do not
have profits to worry about so you really don't care
if there is a dip in downloads while you sort out some
security issues.

Mofo is not a listed company; it will not be crucified by
the market.  Mofo can tell the truth, words in the press
are just that, words.  It doesn't have to pander up to the
press's hopes and expectations of a grand and righteous
battle with Microsoft.  Mozilla can set its own agenda.

But having said all that, there are some dangers here.

The liability issue is serious.  If Mofo just ignores it or
considers itself A-OK because it does all that other good
security stuff, then when and if the users wake up and
take Microsoft to the cleaners, Mofo will be sitting there
with the same problem.  Worse, if we do accept and
assert that Mozilla has a security process, then it is one
that has decided to do more or less nothing on this issue
for the last year or more **.

At this stage it is far better to say the truth - you don't
know what to do, your security process such as it is
isn't up to this task.  Then at least Mozilla can get on
with building it a-new so it can do something about
the problem.

iang

** Gervase was mentioned, and it is true - he's done
some good stuff and that stuff is what I promote over
on the blog.  But... excuse me for forgetting that, all
I can say is that in the year or more, I'm somewhat
underwhelmed.  I know it's not him because when
he should be writing code he's writing papers that
describe the code - so there's some blockage there
which limits him to glacial progress.  Why is it that
Mozilla isn't doing what Peter G said all those months
back: "do all that Gerv said?"  Whether *he's* being
ignored or not, I don't know, but the results aren't
exactly a ringing endorsement.  They are I would
suggest evidence that it doesn't matter who says it,
it is what is said.  If it's about phishing, it's ignored.

&& This is why I wrote about the policy of doing security
work in secret.  That policy is now being used now as
a fig leaf to hide the fact that nothing's been done.
That's not good policy and now we can all see it.

Phishing does not trigger the policy of doing security
work in secret because phishing is public knowledge.
If you doubt this, check the press.  We can probably
send you 10 articles per *day* on phishing, just ask.

--
Advances in Financial Cryptography:
   https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000458.html