I disagree.  From a functional standpoint, changing an option to cause it
to do the exact opposite of what it once did is confusing at best, and
disrupts expected behavior.  People upgrading from one release to another
will find that their "great" sound mp3s will now be horrid, and their
horrid ones will sound great.  A drop-in replacement for lame will do
different things.

I have no problems with adding new options, but changing existing options
is a bit rough.

_J