Yes, please don't change the current set of options.  Rename "lame" if
you do something that drastic. :-)

Instead, perhaps we could migrate to a new set of options that is easier
for novices to understand at the command line.  Then we could slowly
deprecate the options we have now.  This could be more useful and less
"geeky" for everybody in the long run.  It could also turn out to be
more versatile for the developers.

I doubt users care about the internal machinery of lame, i.e. whether
the developers are counting backward or forward from some internal
state.  My guess is that most users care about lame's MP3 output and how
to get that output in an understandable fashion as easily as possible.

Since only three "highq" or "quality" settings are really available now,
why not do something like this:

    --qual low          equivalent to highq=9
    --qual normal           "       "   "   5
    --qual high             "       "   "   2

The option could be lengthed to "--qualty" if necessary.  When new
internal numerical settings are made available then new modes, like
"very high", could be added.  This would better preserve the intent of
the command over time than the present system.

When using variable bit rates, I think users (well, at least myself) are
concerned with "centering" VBR around the constant bitrates that are
well known to them.  For example, now I have to use the following:

    -V3 -b160 -B320

when it might seem more obvious to do this:

    --vbr 192 --min 160 -max 320

As a "vi" user I certainly appreciate the brevity of the former, but as
a human perhaps the later is preferable. :-)

Anyway, I welcome your comments.

--
Don Melton
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]