Hello Chizl,

Sunday, October 26, 2003, 9:06:10 AM, you wrote:

C> Plus I have some serious logs, that let me know exacly what people are doing
C> at all times.  Noone has brute forced nothing on my mail server.  If they
C> tried it wouldn't last long, before they're blocked for life.

Yes,  you  can  block  for  life  a  range of IP addresses but problem
remains.  You  did probably blocked completely innocent people! Why is
that,  you  may  ask?  Almost  all  ISP's  use dynamic IP resolving of
addresses,  so  (let  us  call  those  "bastards"  by name hackers (in
negative  context of that word)) hacker has one IP address one day and
another one next day. You may also say that you blocked a *range*, but
in  fact  bigger  your range is greater amount of people who never did
something wrong is being blocked.

Once I remember that I got warning from some server that I am on their
"black  list"  and that I can't get any content from that server. That
was  first  time that I tried to connect there, but you can guess that
someone  with  same  IP was already there  before me and did something
stupid, so I got banned from accessing that server!

While  working on one ISP I got a conclusion that is best solution for
spamers  to  be  kicked out by administrators of their own network. So
people,  as soon you get spamed or abused in any way, don't waste time
to  report  that to your administrator and/or administrator of network
from  which  specific  IP  is spaming you. That way the hacker will be
traced down and some measures will be taken!

Sorry  for  this off topic letter, just to say that I got spam letters
also, reported to my ISP administrator, and they are gone!

--
Best regards,
 Vladimir                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]