Hi all,

I'm running a profile of a FLINT module which relies heavily on mpir,
and particularly uses a lot of calls of gcd.

The profile is of FLINT against Magma. The first graph compares mpir
pre Jason's patch with Magma.

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wbhart/flint-trunk/graphing/gcd5.png

The second graph compares mpir post Jason's patch, with Magma.

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wbhart/flint-trunk/graphing/gcd6.png
 (still generating automatically as I write).

The blue dots are where FLINT wins, the red where Magma wins, the
black where they are even.

The problem is to compute polys f, g and h with log_2(length) given by
the bottom axis and log_2(bits) given by vertical axis of the graph,
where length is the length of the polynomial f, g and h and bits is
the number of bits per coefficient (which are uniformly randomly
generated).

Once f, g and h are computed, I compute gcd(f*h, g*h). Note the first
column of the graph is basically where FLINT is performing GCD of
length 1 polynomials, i.e. straight integer GCD. It calls directly to
GMP for this. It is relevant that the brown spots at the top of that
column disappear post Jason's patch.

Bill.