On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The FFT currently kicks in at about 5000-7000 limbs or so. Given that
> each 64 bit limb is about 19 decimal digits that is at least 100,000
> decimal digits before the FFT is used. In a later version of MPIR
> we'll have an FFT which kicks in much earlier (about 2000 limbs), but
> it is a big project to change it over.

That would explain why the different FFT tuning parameters didn't make
a difference if the FFT code doesn't start until somewhere around
100,000 digits.  I'm not running something around 105,000 digits so
hopefully that will be using the FFT code.

> I guess you know that tuneup only prints the values out. It doesn't
> change the values in the relevant gmp-param.h.

Yes, I update gmp-param.h each time and re-compile.  How would you
suggest people tune the parameters in Windows using Visual Studio
since there doesn't seem to be a tune application, or is there?

> As for MPIR 1.0.0, we can't wait either. Soon I hope...

Should I be waiting for 1.0 before I use it for production code or if
"make check" passes I should be good to go?

> Thanks for your comments and timings. That sort of feedback encourages us.

My pleasure.

Jeff.