On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> As far as we know MPIR 0.9.0 is highly stable and correct, so you
> shouldn't have any issues using it in production code. It is used in
> Sage for example, which has thousands of users. So far there have been
> no reported issues (except build issues on strange hardware, which you
> obviously haven't had).

Good to hear that, I'm switching things over now.  These extra
speedups are going to save me *days* of computing time in the long
run.  For my real-word apps I'm seeing a 1.3x speedup with MPIR 0.9 on
64bit AMD vs GMP 4.2.4 and between 1.2x and 1.7x speedup on 64bit
Core2.

The squaring code with 105000 digit integers:
AMD Opteron 248 @ 2.2GHz (Linux 64bit)
MPIR 0.9 = 83m11.177s
GMP 4.2.4 = 108m41.370s

Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2.00GHz (Linux 64bit)
MPIR 0.9 = 121m20.354s
GMP 4.2.4 = 208m40.348s

Using GMP-ECM to ECM a 244 digit number with B1=11e6:
AMD Opteron 248 @ 2.2GHz (Linux 64bit)
MPIR 0.9  = 2m32.406s
GMP 4.2.4 = 3m20.908s

Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2.00GHz (Linux 64bit)
MPIR 0.9 = 3m45.447s
GMP 4.2.4 =  4m40.356s

So thanks for all your hard work!  With all the Core2 Windows stuff
happening after 0.9.0 I will probably wait until 1.0 to test out my
Windows binaries.

Jeff.