On Feb 27, 3:30 pm, Jeff Gilchrist <jeff.gilchr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > As far as we know MPIR 0.9.0 is highly stable and correct, so you
> > shouldn't have any issues using it in production code. It is used in
> > Sage for example, which has thousands of users.

Sage sees about a thousand downloads a week in the average week, so
accounting for people trying it out and not using it we have tens of
thousands of users by now. :)

We also build a large number of open source math projects against MPIR
and run Sage's massive regression suite against it. Other than some
small build issues which have all been corrected except for one there
has not been a single problem.

> So far there have been
> > no reported issues (except build issues on strange hardware, which you
> > obviously haven't had).
>
> Good to hear that, I'm switching things over now.  These extra
> speedups are going to save me *days* of computing time in the long
> run.  For my real-word apps I'm seeing a 1.3x speedup with MPIR 0.9 on
> 64bit AMD vs GMP 4.2.4 and between 1.2x and 1.7x speedup on 64bit
> Core2.
>
> The squaring code with 105000 digit integers:
> AMD Opteron 248 @ 2.2GHz (Linux 64bit)
> MPIR 0.9 = 83m11.177s
> GMP 4.2.4 = 108m41.370s
>
> Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2.00GHz (Linux 64bit)
> MPIR 0.9 = 121m20.354s
> GMP 4.2.4 = 208m40.348s
>
> Using GMP-ECM to ECM a 244 digit number with B1=11e6:
> AMD Opteron 248 @ 2.2GHz (Linux 64bit)
> MPIR 0.9  = 2m32.406s
> GMP 4.2.4 = 3m20.908s
>
> Intel Xeon E5405 @ 2.00GHz (Linux 64bit)
> MPIR 0.9 = 3m45.447s
> GMP 4.2.4 =  4m40.356s
>
> So thanks for all your hard work!  With all the Core2 Windows stuff
> happening after 0.9.0 I will probably wait until 1.0 to test out my
> Windows binaries.

MPIR 0.9.0 on Windows is also stable and should be noticeably than gmp
4.2.4. Either way, once MPIR 1.0 is out you should see another fat
nice jump.

> Jeff.

Cheers,

Michael