On Mar 27, 1:27 pm, Dave <dhow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a postgrad student at Warwick, and I'm hoping to start
> contributing to MPIR in the next weeks and months.
>
> My plan is to implement some basic arithmetic in MIPS, and then tidy
> up the mpir_n functions, but to start I'm going to setup a git
> repository to track the SVN repo.
>
> If anyone is interested in switching to using git instead of SVN, then
> let me know and we can try to sort out a central git repository (maybe
> someone has already made their own?).  I've chatted with Bill, and we
> can certainly have something on one of his machines here at Warwick.
>
> I don't know if any of you have experience with git, but I would
> certainly recommend that you take a look at it if you've not come
> across it before.  SVN is incredibly slow and cumbersome in
> comparison.  A lot of work has been done recently to make it more user
> friendly, and there are a few windows ports on the way...

Welcome to our community Dave.

I must admit to being a novice user of repositories in general and I
have very little idea of what the pros and cons of CVS, SVN, Mercurial
and GIT are.  But I am surprised how dumb SVN is in that it blindly
copies and downloads everything in a branch even when files are
identical to those in other branches.  It doesn't use intelligent
referencing (copy only on change) as I would expect

But as a 'Windows only' user I don't see much for me in GIT right now.