Actually, now that I read the instructions in the manual, I am unsure
whether .lib files can only be created for dll files. You are creating
.a files because the test code doesn't work for dll's.

Maybe my suggestion of creating a .lib file won't work.

But if so, then I am unsure why MSVC is not working with the .a file
you have made with MSYS. You could try changing the calling
conventions. I think it uses cdecl by default an maybe it should use
stdcall, but that is only a guess.

Maybe Jason Moxham has time to play around and figure out how to make
this work?

I'm really tempted to just say MPIR does not support MSYS at all. But
I think that would be a mistake, as there are lots of people who use
MSYS.

Bill.