As a summary of what I know that works

cygwin---------
Everything works , static and shared librarys can be build(but
separately)  , they pass make check
and they install correctly  into /usr/local  , so they are availible
for the usual build process with no extra paths required.
The compiled exe's can be run as normal in the cygwin enviroment.
This exe can also be run from the usual window command.com shell

put cygwin1.dll in your path
ie like
set PATH=c:\cygwin\bin;%PATH%
your.exe

there are other better ways eg compile with -mno-cygwin etc , but you
have to be carefull about input/output and other things

You can only install shared or static NOT BOTH

mingw------
Standard install needs some tweeking , get at least core-1.0.11  type
touch.exe /bin/install /bin/install-info.exe
which is needed for vista at least
static and shared can be built (but separately) , static passes make
check , shared fails make check ,but the the library is OK , they both
install correctly into /usr/local  , but the stardard paths are not
set to include these so either put them in your path or build with
gcc your.c -o your.exe -lmpir -L /usr/local/lib -I /usr/local/include
the compiled exe can be run in the mingw/msys enviroment
the compiled exe(with static library) can be run in the normal windows
shell with no tweeks
the compiled exe (with shared library) can also be run in the normal
windows shell with this
put libmpir-3.dll in your path ie with
set PATH=c:\msys\1.0\local\bin;%PATH%
You can only install shared or static NOT BOTH

for MSVC--
Brians projects offer and easy build if you the latest MSVC , and Jeff
reports that the free one works as well.
Personally I prefer the command line , We should have a command
solution for MSVC within a week or two.

I've not tried mixing and matching from MSYS to MSVC  yet , should
work.....

Jason