On Jul 26, 3:01 pm, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I wonder how many try this same but give up because it doesn't just work. I've
> done the same , needed something , found a few packages on the net , first
> one that installs and appears to work get used , the rest get dumped , even
> though they could be way better . and if the package does what I want then I
> wont change it for another . Even if the package isn't perfect , then I'm
> more likely to continue with my current package than have to start from
> scratch with a new one.
>
> We bundle yasm with the linux build , and the linux bod's don't need to know
> or care about it, How about the same for the windows bod's ? The only problem
> I can see is that can VC use yasm.exe without installing it into a "system"
> directory?
>
> Jason
>
> On Sunday 26 July 2009 14:26:05 Chris Saunders wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I was not aware that MPIR needed yasm (and the yasm.rules file).  I
> > had built MPIR quite a while ago and at that time already had yasm setup
> > with Visual Studio for Brian Gladmans GMP project for Visual Studio.  I
> > have since re-installed Visual Studio and wasn't aware MPIR needed yasm.
> > Although I haven't built it yet the project now loads fine.  By the way the
> > "lib_mper_amd64" was a typing error on my part.  Thanks very much for the
> > help.  I thought I might catch hell for posting dumb questions (or top
> > posting) to this list.
>
> > Regards
> > Chris Saunders

Both YASM and the YASM rules file can be placed anywhere you wish for
building MPIR.

And the location of YASM could be set in the YASM rules file or in a
configuration option in VC++.

YASM could be built as a step in building MPIR but the VC++ build is
already complex enough and I would prefer not to make it even more
complex.

But there would be nothing to hinder a two step command line build
that built and installed YASM before building MPIR.

In fact it would probably be quite easy to build MPIR without the VC++
IDE or the *.vcproj files by using cl.exe and yasm.exe in a command
line build.

The reason for putting the YASM files in the VC++ system directories
is that it is then easy to build any VC++ project that uses YASM.  And
since I have a lot of project that use YASM, doing this just once
makes sense.