I don't know whether to comment on this one or not. But my
understanding is that Darwin does not support 32 bit PIC relocations.
The *only* way to fix the problem is to delete all the assembly files
which use PIC code, or rewrite them in the very peculiar Darwin way (I
couldn't follow the docs). Or rewrite the files so they don't need PIC
code at all. But one is a performance problem. The other two are
majorly large undertakings.

I hope I'm commenting on the right issue here. I'm not on my own
computer and can't check anything. So I'm commenting on everything
from (my poor) memory.

Bill.