On Apr 13, 7:50 pm, Cactus <rieman...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 7:30 pm, Nicholas Kinar <n.ki...@usask.ca> wrote:
>

> > > Next question is what to do about Windows. Brian Gladman will not be
> > > using the command line and so we need to ensure that whatever we come
> > > up with works smoothly for him. Relying on one of us to push changes
> > > onto an svn repo somewhere and then to merge back when he makes
> > > changes seems like too much effort. It would be better if we could
> > > figure out how to get git working properly on Windows. Surely someone
> > > has sorted that out by now!
>
> > Perhaps this would be of interest?
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
>
> > Although I haven't tested it, apparently it requires you to install
> > components from the MinGW project such as Msys.
>
> > Aside from git, I can personally vouch for the extremely-stable Bazaar
> > source control system and its associated GUI which is completely
> > cross-platform:
>
> >http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migrat...
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> Believe me, Bill and I have been round this several times - I have
> really tried hard to use GIT but it's x64 shell integration is very
> buggy and makes it unuseable.  GIT on Windows was an afterthought and,
> sadly, it shows.
>
> In contrast Subversion is a dream - download it and install it and it
> just works.  When (if) there is a _true_ TortoiseGIT that does the
> exactly the same thing, I will willingly use it.

As a quick follow up I should mention that the reason that GIT is not
good on Windows x64 is clear if you follow what has been going on in
msysgit.

There has firstly been very little interest in whether it runs on
x64.

Secondly the msysgit folk seem to dislike the Visual Studio compiler
(or I assume the Intel one) so they simply haven't had a compiler that
could target x64 until fairly recently.  So its not a surprise that
its not good on WIndows x64.

I looked at the GUI's mentioned but they want msysgit installed and
the one I tried didn't seem to understand that x64 programs on WIndows
are not in the same place as win32 ones.

I am up agianst a double hurdle here - I not only run WIndows - I run
Windows x64.