I can second your feelings on TortoiseGit. I generally ignore the icons
- the shell integration is buggy on x86-32 as well. It's just buggy,
either way.

According to SO this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/ is
supposed to be a good project. It isn't quite so clean looking as the UI
seems to be, but apparently it has a VS extension in it... here it is
again: http://code.google.com/p/gitextensions/. According to
https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools#Visual_Studio
it is the tool to use.

I'm going to get the Windows (x64) vm on the go and see what happens.
I'm currently downloading icc so I might have to report back tomorrow.

Antony