As you have correctly surmise, solving this requires a full rewrite of about
50 functions in the underlying C library, all of which are written in a way
that will use 32-bit integer types on Windows.

This is a large undertaking and, so far, nobody has been willing to embark
on this.  With enough volunteers, we could do this in a reasonable time but
I am not keen to start unless we get a group who are fully committed to help
in the implementation.

In the meantime, as you suggest, it is straightforward to add a few C++
calls that access the sx/ux functions (constructors, copy, conversion).  I
just added these in the MPIR SVN repository.

   *Brian*
*
*