On Oct 24, 9:02 pm, Cactus <rieman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you have correctly surmise, solving this requires a full rewrite of about
> 50 functions in the underlying C library, all of which are written in a way
> that will use 32-bit integer types on Windows.

Ah... that's unfortunate. Good to know before I start patching
mpirxx.h myself :)

> This is a large undertaking and, so far, nobody has been willing to embark
> on this.  With enough volunteers, we could do this in a reasonable time but
> I am not keen to start unless we get a group who are fully committed to help
> in the implementation.

Yes, I can imagine this from my short exposure to the source code.

> In the meantime, as you suggest, it is straightforward to add a few C++
> calls that access the sx/ux functions (constructors, copy, conversion).  I
> just added these in the MPIR SVN repository.

Well, that's great, I hope it will solve at least a few of these
problems for some people. I am still puzzled about why the compiler
didn't automatically upcast given the constructor from long long, but
maybe the reason is that assignment or copy were still missing as
well.

Thanks a lot for the quick responses, Brian and Bill! I'll see whether
the SVN version fixes the incompatibilities in my case.

- Joris