Some of the techniques are probably very interesting, but it is hard to be
impressed by a six times speedup if the original library was quite slow,
which I bet it was.

Thanks for pointing out the article. It will be interesting to follow this
development.

Bill.

On Thursday, 15 March 2012, Dann Corbit <dcor...@connx.com> wrote:
> Very interesting article on multi-precision integer arithmetic ported to
GPU:
> http://www.worldscinet.com/ppl/21/2103/free-access/S0129626411000266.pdf
>
> Not sure about the license, because it appears to be based on ARPREC and
QD, which requires a fee for commercial use:
> http://crd-legacy.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/
>
> But I think at least it would be a good read because they talk about the
obstacles and techniques that were necessary to get good performance.
> They saw up to 6x speedup for GTX 480 card verses core i7 870 general
purpose CPU.  Coincidentally, that is my exact hardware setup.