On 4 February 2014 18:11, Jean-Pierre Flori <jpfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:05:58 PM UTC+1, Jean-Pierre Flori wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 5:56:29 PM UTC+1, Bill Hart wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> from today until 28 Feb (incl.) I will be working exclusively on MPIR
>>> (with a couple of very small interruptions).
>>>
>>> Today I did the following:
>>>
>>> * cleaned up .gitignore to make git ignore all autogenerated files
>>>
>>> Great. I've been working on that lately.
>> There are some commits on my github branch.
>> I'll just rework on top of your updated branch.

Sure. Let me know when you are ready and I'll merge them.

>> Note that from my point of view, nothing coming automatically produced by
>> autoreconf should be tracked in the git repo.

Unfortunately  I don't think we can do that. When we do make dist it
expects that there is a valid configure and Makefiles. Also, running
autoreconf throttles our hacked config.guess and config.sub. So it's not
quite trivial to regenerate everything.

For now I'd like to stick with the current setup. Later when I do more
build system work we might be able to find a better way.

>> * did autoreconf -i so that autoconf/automake work on my development
>>> machine (and replaced our original hacked versions of config.guess and
>>> config.sub). It looks like the fsf versions of those files were last
>>> updated in 2013, but I've made a ticket about perhaps updating them again.
>>>
>> Yup, I update the fsf files to make them work on Cygwin64.
>> Before that they dated from 2003 or 2006...
>>
> Groumpf, that also updated the yasm subdirectory...

Ok, I reverted the changes autoreconf -i made to the yasm directory.

That leaves these files. But I'm unsure whether they were changed for line
endings or some other reasons.

yasm/config/config.guess
yasm/config/config.sub
yasm/po/boldquot.sed
yasm/po/quot.sed

I'd revert them if I knew which was the original and which was the modified
version!

> Not sure if you really want that, though it does not really hurt.
> (Last time I ran autoreconf I used the --no-recursive option, so yasm
> remained the vanilla version.)

Good idea. I'll try to do this in future.

> I'm not totally convinced with the way yasm is shipped right now.
> Maybe just shipping a vanilla tarball would be enough.
>

> IIRC last time I played with the git version there were also issues with
> line endings.
> I think Brian reintroduced some CR/LF or things like that.
> See this commit
> https://github.com/jpflori/mpir/commit/0171152c26d69c521305bcb92b646ae74d7bf0ea
> Maybe its worth to think about the way line endings are dealt with right
> now.

I guess that is your commit to revert these changes?