The issues mentioned below: Accountability. Representation.
Responsiveness. Citizen legislators. Short terms of service. Big money.
All occasioned by the question: How come our govt is so third rate?

Contrary to Kim Carlson, I think changing the system of elections IS the
way to make the change.

My preferred change is to Proportional Representation(PR) for the City
Council. With a common version of PR, it takes only about 7.5% of the vote
to win a seat. This has the following good effects:

1) The DFL is trimmed back from 12 seats to about 7-9, and none of them
are guaranteed (as today) to incumbents. This means accountability and
responsiveness - if you are scared you won't be re-elected, you will pay
much more attention to your voters. This is good. Nor will you be likely
to fork over huge chunks of cash to a stadium or Target if the voters know
they can and will boot you out for it.

DFL incumbents won't like this one, but, tough. They're part of the
problem -- almost all of the problem, as DFL domination for decades shows.

2) This leaves as many as 6 seats open for non-DFL. Some mix of GOP,
Green, Independent; say, 2 of each. This is good. The council then will be
a mirror of the population. More concerns and issues will be raised. More
diverse voices will be heard. More things will be done for most people
(and fewer things for the top 1% who now run the show). There will be more
committed and informed and widespread political debate (heaven for
political junkies like me). We will GROW UP as an electorate. More people
will vote - because they can vote for a party that represents them - and
win. Nothing stimulates interest like a chance to make things better.

The rich 1% won't like this one, but, tough. They're part of the problem
-- almost all of the problem, as big money domination for decades shows.

3) All seats - not just DFL seats - will be much less safe. Reps will come
and go more frequently and will hold a seat for many fewer years. It will
be easy for a party X member to challenge party X incumbents. No longer
will the young have to sit around for decades waiting for the incumbent to
die or retire, or him/herself move to another district. Ending incumbent
safety is GOOD. Why does Elmer Foof have to be reelected just because he
was elected last time?

Ending safe seats will go a long way to eliminating arrogance. Treat us
like dirt and - whoosh! - gone next election. We can expect a lot more
humility, helpfulness, aid, listening, responsiveness, honor.

A good system, good consequences, you say, but how to get it?-- The
arrogant drones in office won't vote for it.

Well, we can force the issue. We vote third party; this scares the DFL
into pushing for a system (IRV) that winds up giving second choice votes
to DFLers. It's already happening in various places in America where the
third parties are strong. A large and continuing third party vote is
ESSENTIAL - without it, same old same old.

Once we have IRV (Instant Runoff Voting) then it's on to PR, like IRV but
for multiple member districts. After IRV takes hold, PR will seem as
familiar and good as home, mom, and apple pie.

--David Shove