Michael A. writes:

> Ah, the old underestimate your enemy approach.  As I remember Ms.
Colvin Roy
> won by a very small margin.

8.7 percentage points, according to the city's website (54.2 to 45.5).
"Very small" is a relative term, but it probably applies better to Ward
5 (Johnson Lee over Cherryhomes by 1.5 percentage points) or Ward 2
(Zerby over Gordon by 2.1).

To allow you to make your own relative judgments, Colvin Roy's victory
was the fourth-smallest of the 13 wards. It's surprising in retrospect
how many blow-outs there were. For context, here are the rankings,
narrowest to widest margins.

1. Ward 5, 1.5
2. Ward 2, 2.1
3. Ward 6 (Zimmerman over Kallenbach), 52.1-47, or 5.1
4. Ward 12, 8.7
5. Ward 10 (Niziolek over Kress) 53.8-44.1, or 9.7
6. Ward 13 (Lane over Abbott) 54.9-44.9, or 10
7. Ward 11 (Benson over Casserly), 17-point difference
8. Ward 1 (Ostrow over Ramstad), 24-point diff.
9. Ward 8 (Lilligren over Brock), 26 points
10. Ward 3 (Biernat over Price), 28 points
11. Ward 4 (Johnson over Belmore), 48 points
12. Ward 9 (Schiff over Lucky), 64 points
13. Ward 7 (Goodman over Flynn), 65 points

If you look at the list, the Greens would be defending seats in the
first- and third-closest wards, while the DFL would be defending in the
second- and fourth-closest wards.

In every other ward, no Green came within 28 points of a DFLer, though
one Independent triumphed by 10 points over a DFLer (Ward 13).

While I might not agree with Michael's numerical interpretation, I do
agree that Sandy would be relatively more vulnerable - because of all
the, er, attention given by her vote in the leadership fight.

David Brauer
King Field - Ward 10