I really don't want to get into this old rehash (old in Central,
anyway), but there are a number of facts that every post so far on this
topic has failed to mention.  The issues are getting lost under the very
personal tone this email takes with David Piehl's opinions of Art
Erickson:

1.      Many in the community would take issue with Art Erickson's ability
to run a meeting.  For many years, neighborhood residents have felt
silenced & excluded in meetings he has run, and many have felt that he
has used those meetings as a way to further his/Urban Ventures' agendas
rather than facilitating honest debate.  This doesn't come just from
Central residents, but from Phillips residents and folks from other
neighborhoods & nonprofits who have dealt with him at various meetings.
That history and perception of exclusion does nothing good for CNIA
redeveloping neighborhood trust.

2.      Whether Erickson has the backing of "big names" is very
questionable.  Urban Ventures is very good at glad-handing and getting
Art's or Ralph's photos shaking hands with big names into the media.
However, the end product for the neighborhood in terms of completed
projects has been squat-ola.  Just because they decide to spin a
proposal as the "Colin Powell Youth Center" or whatever the heck it's
being called this week, doesn't mean that it actually has Colin Powell's
real backing.  It means even less for funding .  Further, UV & CNIA may
be looking for money from the same sources, creating potential issues of
conflict of interest.

3.      Erickson & UV have a reputation for not "playing well with others"
in the community.  Both Central & Phillips residents have often
complained that major proposed projects have been slipped in quietly
without any opportunity for comment, questions, or discussion from
residents.  Again, not good traits in a leader for a citizen
participatory organization.

Finally, David is right in questioning the financial ties between
Sabri & Urban Ventures.  I have been in many meetings where the acrimony
between Sabri & Erickson was palpable, when they sat on opposite sides
of an issue - often when competing for the same property or project.
While I do not believe the mentioned religious aspect has any merit
(Sabri has NEVER shown signs of being a religious bigot, whatever else I
may think of his activities), the alleged "donations" to Brian Herron,
if you believe the tapes, the U.S. Attorney, & the FBI, were not just
innocent donations to "hedge bets."  All may be entirely innocent, but
under the circumstances it is not strange that a community member would
wonder.  Despite David's (and other community members') non-employment
by the FBI or other law enforcement agencies, they certainly are
competent to ask questions, read audits, follow publicly available paper
trails, and draw conclusions.  That's what reporters do, and that's what
responsible, concerned citizens do.  Saying that a community member
should leave such matters to the "qualified" FBI makes me think back to
Basim Sabri's insulting comments to Karen Forbes, months ago, when he
attacked her for questioning what his proposed development would do to
traffic flow at an aready busy intersection, by calling her unqualified
to say anything because she wasn't a traffic engineer.

Roxana Orrell
Central