I know one shouldn't pick at tiny parts of the budget but throwing away
money (in this case $500,000) is always offensive. RT is following the
popular approach of mayors all over the country to appear to take action
against potential terrorists by "protecting" the city water supply.
Nationwide governors and mayors have proposed about $4 billion to
protect our water reservoirs, when such contamination  "presents a
minimal to negligible risk". This quote is from Donald A. Henderson,
principal science advisor to the Secretary of Health and Human Services
for public health preparedness and chairman of the Secretary's Council
on Public Health Preparedness. He also says: "Contaminating food or
water is possible but unlikely to result in a potentially destabilizing
epidemic of a highly virulent disease." This sum would be much more
useful for measures designed to protect public health and environment in
general.

Phyllis Kahn   State Representative 59B