From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Rybak, R.T.
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 10:34 AM
To: Mpls Forum
Subject: [Mpls] City budget

        I want to put this morning's news regarding the police five year
plan into context.

        I do not want to cut positions in the police department.  I want
to add positions, especially by hiring new recurits who relect the
makeup of the city.
        But when I, or anyone else, says simply they want spend more in
one area, make sure you ask us where we will cut....because a city that
has built up debt for far too long needs to keep coming to terms with
some very uncomfortable financial reality.  That's what I will be doing
between now and early August when I present my budget.  I'm wide open to
ideas...we need all the brainpower we can get right now.

        We have dramatically fewer resources because of a number of
factors, including long term debt, massive state aid cuts, rapidly
rising health care, pension funds that are gobbling up huge chunks of
the budget and a recession that has decreased the value of commercial
property.
         While all this has happened, the state passed a property tax
redistribution that shifted the burden from commercial property onto
residential.  This, plus the commercial value drop above, has meant big
increases in property tax on homes, making it much harder to raise
property taxes on already overburdened homeowners.  The phase out of
limited market value makes it even more difficult to raise property
taxes.

        The bad news is that because of these factors above we don't
have as much discretionary money.  The good news is that all the work we
have done on long term planning is giving us a clearer picture of the
challenge, and starting to give us some tools to use to get out of the
hole. Unlike three years ago, we now have a five year financial
framework passed by the mayor and council designed to work us out of the
hole dug by years of debt and, based on those numbers we now have every
department in the city required to develop a five year budget and five
year business plan.
        The police budget you read about in the paper this morning, or
the Health Department presention yesterday some of you may have seen on
cable, are parts of that process.  The department heads were to build
their long term strategies around the numbers in the five year financial
direction.  The results aren't pretty, as you can see in the police plan
and the health department plan.....but they are the first step we need
to understand the implications.  You will continue to see these very
stark picutres as each business plan comes forward but it is much better
for the public to learn about the implications in a very public way, see
what it means over a long period of time...instead of having it sprung
on people in each budget.

  I was also very pleased the most significant part of the police budget
had to do with deployment issues: how do we use officers more
effectively because, no matter how much money we have, we are safer if
the officer is spending more time on the street.   As that business plan
is presented...it comes before Executive Committee and Public Safety
tomorrow--- it will be very helpful to have input from citizens about
these ideas, and other input about things not in the plan that could be
added.

         I also want to make it clear we aren't just accepting the
situations. I'm working almost exclusvively on budgets issues, as are
the people in our budget office, and many other parts of the city...and
that work will come out in August when I present my budget.

 Here are a couple things we are doing to address the long term
structural issues that are hurting our financial situation.

        First, on health care, when we saw forecasts of these costs
going up 20% percent for years to come, we worked with our unions to
restructure the system to lead to significant savings.
        Second on pensions, we are about to appoint a high level
advisory group with deep background in this area to develop some key
recommendations for restructuring. This is going to require cooperation
with our pensioneers, and the legislature.  You will be hearing more
about this in coming times.
        Third, on the long term debt that I referenced above, one of the
key drivers is the Internal Service Fund, which the five year financial
direction attempts to pay off.

        These, and a number of other initiatives were received very well
by the bond ratings agencies we met with a couple months back...and I'm
pleased to say that they continued to keep the city's ratings, a
significant achievement in these times.

        With that context, I'm very interested in hearing thoughts about
how we should address all this.   No idea to too out there...we need all
the creative thinking we can get.

R.T. Rybak
REMINDERS:
1. Think a member has violated the rules? Email the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.