Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 6:24 PM
Subject: [Mpls] Police Brutality

Ten months ago, we were going through a similar debate when two Mpls police officers were accused of urinating on a Native American.  When he was brought to the hospital by another squad, the ER doctor attending the inebriated 'victim' swore he did not smell any urine on the 'victim' (and believe me, it would smell esp. from someone drinking a quantity of alcohol).  The 'offending' officers came forward after seeing their call described on the 6 o'clock news (they had not been id's at that point) and stated they had not done this and in fact, insisted tests be done on the 'victim's clothes to prove their innocence. Since the 'victim' couldn't remember anything and his female companion was unknown and gone from the scene, the only thing left to prove yeah or nay was physical (drat).

Guess what, guys.  The only DNA found on the victim's clothes was his own.  The officers had done what they stated they did; they gave the 'victim' and his  female companion a ride home because they couldn't navigate the way by themselves.  I have yet to hear anyone here apologize to the officers who were falsely accused or are we going to hear conspiracy theories on this case, too.  By the way, if anyone gives a rat's patoot, one of those officers recently got back from active duty in Iraq.  But he probably doesn't live in the city, so therefore, he's an uncaring thug who doesn't deserve our appreciation.

Cops do not always get off.  There have been several officers fired and prosecuted in the past few years.  Many more have received days off without pay (which also means they cannot work during that time in an off-duty status which is in any way police related).  Often, this results in larger financial losses than most felons get nailed with (and probably many white collar crooks who declare bankruptcy or have all their property off-shore).

Being a police officer is not a popularity contest.  The nature of the job means that usually someone is not going to be happy.  Many people, amazingly enough since we have a brand new county jail, still don't want to go there.  They get down right nasty  when they get caught doing something wrong.  Police have a duty to arrest and take people into custody for breaking the laws that we, as a society, have made.  Often, in order to do this, they need to use force, sometimes even deadly force.  This IS NOT police brutality.

It is also not police brutality when an officer orders someone to do something (raise your hands, get out of the car, etc).  I found out early in my career that "Excuse me madam or sir, but would you mind dropping that gun?"  just didn't cut it (although it may have good for a laugh later on, assuming I lived until later on).

When people consider cop-killers victims of police brutality (i.e. Martha Donald)  I have trouble respecting their viewpoints.  Donald may have been a victim of many things, but police brutality was not one of them.  If anything,  a good person and a good police officer lost her life because she had the humanity to take Donald to the bathroom to relieve herself and save her the indignity of soiling herself.  For this, she lost her life and took Donald's life in the process.  If Donald had lived to exit that bathroom, how many others might she have killed before she ran out of bullets?  Since there were six bullets in her gun, the argument could be made that Michelle saved five innocent lives while giving her own.

There are some officers who should never have been given a badge.   There are some officers who are racists.  There are some officers who seem to get a kick out of hurting people or cannot control their tempers and have no business in the uniform.  Nobody wants to get rid of these people more than the good officers who have to work with these bad apples.  And by the way, not all of these officers are wearing Mpls uniforms and Mpls doesn't have control over all police officers in the state. But when officers are accused of conduct for which they are not guilty, then they deserve to have their innocence acknowledged as loudly and as publicly as the accusations were made.  the public also deserves an apology, because false allegations against our officials hurt the whole community and undermines peoples trust.

It will never cease to amaze me that the very people who demand respect and accuse others of violating someone's civil rights, are the same people who think nothing of depriving a whole section of our society, namely police officers, of their civil rights and respect.  If these people are truly interested in
fair and equal treatment for all, they need to recognize that mistakes can be made and admit they judged too quickly.  I don't see that happening because it would not fit into their agendas.  Also, you don't get publicity for saying you're sorry.

Anne McCandless
Jordan

<<Blank Bkgrd.gif>>