Well, actually no Robert it's not about a choice between drug offenders
(which incidentally is not exclusively the same as drug users but rather  includes
drug dealers as well) and Level III sex offenders.  Level IIIs are  not being
release or compressed into impacted neighborhoods because of the  number of
drug offenders in prison, they are released because they've done their  time.
Lighter penalties for drug offenders is a separate issue and trying  to hinge
one on the other, in my mind, dilutes and draws attention away from the  real
issue: compacting "problems" into impacted communities.

And while I agree with the sentiments of Booker's proposed ordinance, it is
not feasible. (incidentally, the people who check up on and track Level IIIs
and  other offenders here in the City are Hennepin County Probations Officers,
and  while I speak to how well they do in other communities, the ones we have
in  Jordan and Folwell are top notch).  The reasons why the ordinance is not
feasible are: 1.The City doesn't have jurisdiction, and 2. even if it did no
one  is going to support an ordinance to get more Level IIIs in their area.
Joe  Mullery and Linda Hiiggins have tried this several times at the Legislature
and  it has never passed.

However, the question of jurisdiction has led to a possible means of  dealing
with this problem through a thought Keith Ellison had and that we've
discussed at a couple of meetings on the Northside (in addition to discussions  I've
had with some southside people like Barb and Jim).  While the City  doesn't
have jursidiction, the Department of Correction does and we've been  working on
getting a policy that would effect the same thing.  Those that  are on
supervision, the Department should be able to tell where to go and where  not to.
Therefore, the way to accomplish this is to get the Department to  agree to a
policy of non-concentration in impacted neighborhoods.

Part of the problem is awareness.  While it doesn't mean that they  would
care, many people are not aware of the concentration and the reasons for  it.
Don Samuels, Dennis Wagner and I met with Steve Sviggum earlier in the  year
about this issue and he was shocked to learned of the concentration (Jordan  has
the highest concentration in North Minneapolis, combined with Phillips, the
two communities have 50% of the Level IIIs in the city) and the reason (the two
 from his hometown were there because of relatives).  1 in 9 people in
Jordan is on some form of supervision.  There are only two halfway houses  in
Minneapolis, one on the Northside and one on the Southside, and I don't  believe
that probation or parole officers are directing people to these  neighborhoods,
a number of them are not stopping them.  But the largest  problem is the group
of landlords who will recruit them under the auspices of  doing "God's work"
which is strange because I didn't know God liked you to  concentrate large
numbers offenders in a small house and charge them huge  rates.

There are a number of other ways of dealing with this too.  Dorie's  idea is
not bad, and we looked into it (but something else is happening with  Fort
Snelling) as well as an idea of having a certification process similar to  what
is done for Section 8 acceptable domiciles for those housing Level  IIIs.  If
you were to do this, you could incorporate regulations such as  the provisions
mentioned in the ordinance and cap the rental amount.  I  believe once the
amount of money is capped or reduced, you'd see a lot less  eager landlords
regarding this issue.

The bottom line is that impacted communities should not be subjected to
carrying the weight of the City regarding problems.  Out of 81  neighborhoods in
Minneapolis, only 1/4 have Level IIIs.  Something to think  about.

Jonathan Palmer
Victory

In a message dated 10/2/2004 12:43:26 PM Central Standard Time,